Who is my neighbor?

sara ann

I''m sure that this question has been ask many times before....I'm asking again...I do not believe that God ask me to love anyone who is evil...and I mean evil...so who is my neighbor? I think that what God is saying is that we love ourselves more than anything else...we put ourselves first...love our neighbor more than we love ourselves...who is my neighbor?

Reactions: Hol

Hol

Worships Him
I don't live in the best of neighborhoods, and the other night a mild roar of domestic violence almost brought the police, again. I was mostly worried for a single lady a few doors down who has a drug crazed son and was our last police intervention. She was raised RCC, but switched to JW, I haven't asked why.

I pray for them, and for my safety, but my encouragement comes from remembering that before a person becomes a believer, our Heavenly Father calls them. He reaches into the cesspool of humanity: He draws us from evil to loving Christ. I guess He can help us spot our neighbors and at times they seem like our worse enemies.

sara ann

Thanks to both of you....I am going through a tough time as I'm sure most of you are doing the same...it overtakes me...I have to step back and not look at things from my point of view...I'm not a cryer...but have of late done more than my share...let's pray that it will pass.....I'm praying for each of you also...

jonshaff

Fellow Servant
I''m sure that this question has been ask many times before....I'm asking again...I do not believe that God ask me to love anyone who is evil...and I mean evil...so who is my neighbor? I think that what God is saying is that we love ourselves more than anything else...we put ourselves first...love our neighbor more than we love ourselves...who is my neighbor?

God changes our definition of Love when we look at the Cross and realize God loved those Who beat and murdered His Son. And we are called to love like He does.

I'm reminded daily that it is only by God's Grace can we love like Christ. We are absolutely unable by our own doing. It is only through the Spirit of God can we love with this supernatural, Godly Love.

Matthew 5:43-48 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘hate your enemy.’
But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you,
so that you may be like your Father in heaven, since he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Even the tax collectors do the same, don’t they?
And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they?
So then, be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Hol

Worships Him
Thank you sweet Sara Ann!

I found this session really encouraging. Sometimes I just need a good sermon to focus on the Lord! I hope you have some time to listen to Dr. Thomas Ice, let me know what you think!

2015 Prophecy Conference, Parts I-III (Playlist) // Dr. Thomas Ice
Immanuel Baptist Church
https://www.***********/watch…

Part I: "Introduction and Q & A" ...

See More

2015 Prophecy Conference, Part I // Dr. Thomas Ice
Introduction and Q & A

:pray

I do not believe that God ask me to love anyone who is evil...and I mean evil...so who is my neighbor?
Great question, though you may not like the answer. Sara Ann, aren't we all evil, fallen sinners deserving only death and separation from God? Isn't the entire point of Grace that even the most venal of us can be redeemed because God loves us in spite of our failings? So, yes we are to love everyone even those we would despise for being evil. And Yes it is an impossible thing to ask of we fallen sinners to do on our own. We cannot do it on our own, but by the Grace of God we can allow the spirit of The Lord Jesus to show through us and we can show mercy, compassion, and yes Love to the basest among us. However, this does not mean that we abide in and abet evil. I believe we must do all we can to introduce the fallen to the Lord even at the cost of our own lives. Jesus did it for us. We need to follow his lead. The question is what does this mean at the practical "rubber meets the road" level. I believe that this varies based upon where you are in your walk with the Lord. Seek him and follow his lead. Just my opinion, YMMV. Seek the Lord and trust him to lead you. What I have found is that the right road is usually the hardest road for you to walk.

sara ann

thanks to all.....I am trying to reconcile Luke and John 17...

Luke has been discussed ....John 17....Jesus says that HE prays not for the world but for those who have been given to Him by His Father....Luke to me is saying that all of mankind is our neighbor He doesn't say brother ..I agree that we should be kind and loving to all...neighbor in Luke and in John the world.....

I think I'm nit picking.....or does it matter? We should know our savior Jesus and He should know us.

Andrew

Well known member
There is a difference in the context between those two situations. If we consider what it is that Jesus is praying for in John 17 then we can see that it would only be appropriate for those who are saved.

Back