Exhorting: A Spiritual Gift

Kenny64

What is the spiritual gift of exhorting? | Institute in Basic Life Principles

Exhorting: A Spiritual Gift Romans 12:3–8

A Christian’s motivational spiritual gift represents what God does in him to shape his perspective on life and motivate his words and actions. Romans 12:3–8 describes “basic motivations,” which are characterized by inherent qualities or abilities within a believer—the Creator’s unique workmanship in him or her.

Through the motivational gifts, God makes believers aware of needs that He wants to meet through them, for His glory. Then, believers can minister to others through the ministry and manifestation gifts of the Spirit, in ways beyond mere human capability and ingenuity, with maximum effectiveness and minimum weariness.

Each person’s behavior will vary according to factors such as temperament, background, age, gender, culture, and circumstances. However, it is not unusual for individuals who share the same motivational gift to demonstrate common characteristics. Below are some general characteristics that are typically exhibited by those who have the motivational gift of exhorting.
General Characteristics

An exhorter’s basic motivational drive is to encourage believers to mature in Christ and to grow spiritually. Exhorters often seek to stimulate that development by teaching, counseling, and discipling others.

An exhorter regards God’s sovereignty as his “favorite” characteristic of God.
Exhorters regard trials as opportunities for growth. Since God is in control, they recognize that whatever happens has potential to glorify God and conform believers to the image of Jesus Christ. The exhorter sympathizes with the suffering Christian, but he sees the pain through the lens of God’s sovereignty rather than through the lens of suffering. (A person with the motivational gift of mercy, on the other hand, would see the pain through the lens of suffering.)
Exhorters express love through availability.
Given a choice of helping someone “spiritually” or helping him with a physical need (such as taking a meal to him or mowing his lawn while he’s in the hospital), the exhorter prefers to offer spiritual help. Given a choice of encouraging by empathy or encouraging by exhortation, a person with this motivational gift will exhort every time.
Wise counsel flows from the heart of an exhorter who is able to skillfully identify precepts and principles in God’s Word.
Exhorters love to encourage, encourage, encourage!
Exhorters and mercy-givers make a good team for counseling someone who is discouraged. The person with the gift of mercy empathizes—he knows how the downhearted person feels. The exhorter exhorts—he knows how the person needs to feel! The exhorter’s job is to give hope by sharing a Biblical perspective of the situation and reminding people of God’s power, love, and faithfulness. An exhorter avoids weeping with others (as the mercy-giver would weep), because he sees empathy as encouragement to wallow in self-pity. The exhorter wants to “move on” past the pain and take advantage of the opportunity to become more Christlike.
An exhorter responds to problems by prescribing specific steps of action. His goal is to make the plan so easy to comprehend that people will understand it, see its potential, embrace it, and grow as a result of carrying it out.

An Exhorter’s Strengths

An exhorter uses Scripture to validate experience.
Exhorters are willing and eager to come alongside a brother or sister in Christ during difficult circumstances.
Memorization of, and meditation on, Scripture are usually very important to the exhorter, because he wants to be able to draw wisdom from the well of truth stored in his spirit.
An exhorter sees every little detail, including the timing of every event, as part of God’s good and loving plan.
Because an exhorter sees trials in a positive light, which is opposite of the world’s way of seeing them, an exhorter constantly reminds people of God’s sovereignty and love.
Exhorters focus on balance; they avoid extremes, especially in doctrine.
An exhorter seems to be able to give thanks in all seasons and circumstances, including the darkest ones.
Exhorters understand that time reading and studying the Word of God brings more than information; it brings transformation.

An Exhorter’s Weaknesses

Exhorters tend to need visible evidences of acceptance and affirmation.
They can easily oversimplify solutions, which ultimately results in discouragement rather than encouragement.
Surprisingly, exhorters can be poor listeners, even though they make excellent counselors. Sometimes they are so intent on telling you how to view your situation from God’s perspective that they fail to listen to your perspective.
Mature exhorters give wise counsel from the Word of God. Therefore, their counsel usually proves to be effective. Unfortunately, their success often tempts exhorters to promote principles as formulas, and the formulas as cure-alls.
Exhorters are often naïve and easily manipulated.
Because an exhorter wants so badly for Scripture to provide a successful step of action to eliminate a problem, he may quote Scripture out of context or imply that it says something that it actually doesn’t say, rationalizing that the end justifies the means. This is a devastating trap for the exhorter.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I found the OP interesting, but since I consider myself to be an exhorter I did take offense at the list of weaknesses. And yes, that gives it the "feel" of psychological assessments or maybe those who learn to read body language. I always appreciated those people who read my body language if they actually verified what my body language was telling them by actually asking me! :lol:

Thanks Kenny64 as I know your utmost intention is to help us all be better Christians. We love you! :hug

livin_in_the_Son

I found the OP interesting, but since I consider myself to be an exhorter I did take offense at the list of weaknesses. And yes, that gives it the "feel" of psychological assessments or maybe those who learn to read body language. I always appreciated those people who read my body language if they actually verified what my body language was telling them by actually asking me! :lol:

Thanks Kenny64 as I know your utmost intention is to help us all be better Christians. We love you! :hug

I especially agree with the bolded part...I often cross my arms, in body language-ese it means I'm confrontational, or are defensive...but in reality I'm simply cold and prefer to cross my arms instead of wearing a sweatshirt or coat. I also can't stand still...but that's not because I'm uncomfortable with the conversation, but because I have feet, and back issues.

Reading body language isn't an exact science, and rolling my eyes don't always mean I'm lying...I could just think a person is an idiot. :lol: I took a psychology course, and the teacher asked me to draw a tree...I put a black hole in the middle of the trunk and she said that it was a "trama hole" meaning a trauma was committed against me. While that was true...my daughter draws a tree the exact same way...because that's how she's seen me draw a tree.

Plus, squirrels need a home, hence the hole.

Kenny64

All of the gifts of God are given to us according to His grace. That is, you cannot earn the gift, you cannot merit the gift, or else it would not be a gift. It is something that God has given to us and as a gift it must be received. And so, you have to set aside, in your own mind, your worthiness or your deserving of the gifts.

Sometimes we are not satisfied with the way God made us, but we need to accept our uniqueness as a gift from Him. God made you the way you are because He loves you the way you are. He accepts you the way you are. And thus, it is important that we accept ourselves because God made us like this. And realize that I am special and I am unique unto God. No one else can fill that place that God has for you in the body of Christ. He has made and fashioned you uniquely for that place that you have. And that is why it is important that every one of us find our place and take our place in the body of Christ, according to the gifts that He has given and according to His grace.

So as Paul goes on then and begins to list some of these various gifts, which we have already covered: http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/bible-study-q/98452-exhorting-spiritual-gift.html#

Whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our]ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation. (Romans 12:6-8)

Now last week we studied the gift of teaching. That is instructing the people in the ways of God, in the truths of God, and how vital and important that ministry is within the church. But a companion gift and certainly a necessary gift to go along with the gift of teaching, is the gift of exhortation. The gift of exhortation is tied, in the New Testament (and in the Old Testament too), with the gift of prophecy. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:3,

But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

So the exhortation is a part of the gift of prophecy.

In Acts 15:32,

And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and comfirmed them.

So being prophets, they exhorted the brethren. This is a very important gift within the church. It seems that many people do not live up to what they know to be right. There are many people who are hearers of the word, but not doers. They know the truth, they even consent to the truth, but they do not do it. And thus, they need encouragement. They need a push. There are so many times when I say, "Oh yes, I should do that and I will do that," but I get caught up with-with other things and I let it slide, though I really should do it. It seems like people are naturally procrastinators-always putting things off. "Well, I hope to get to that next week because I do not have time for it today, but maybe tomorrow..."

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/smith_chuck/HolySpirit/hs_28.cfm

Now we are commanded to exhort one another. When Paul wrote to Timothy he said,

Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. (1 Timothy 4:13)

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I really don't see why not MaryRae!

Question: "Is there any value to a spiritual gifts test/inventory/assessment?"

Answer: It is definitely commendable for God’s children to desire to know the spiritual gifts given to them by the Holy Spirit for the purpose of serving and glorifying God (2 Timothy 1:6). At the same time, the Bible does not indicate that one's spiritual gift(s) can be determined by taking a test. The many spiritual gifts assessments primarily work the same way. The person taking the test simply responds to a list of statements or questions. After all the questions are answered, a number value is assigned to the response choices, calculated, and that number determines the spiritual gift(s). In contrast, the Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit grants spiritual gifts according to His will, according to how He has chosen to use the believer to minister to others.

One of the problems with the spiritual gift test approach is that, among Christians today, there are many different opinions on the whole subject of spiritual gifts, such as how many there are, exactly what they mean, whether some gifts are inactive, and whether to include Christ’s gifts to His church (Ephesians 4:11) in the list of spiritual gifts. Seldom are these issues addressed in these assessments. Another consideration is that, more often than not, people tend to see themselves differently than others see them, which can mean a false outcome in the assessment of one’s spiritual gifts.

A third problem with using this approach to determine spiritual gifts is that these gifts come from God via the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit gives these gifts to whom He chooses (1 Corinthians 12:7-11). In John 16:13, believers are promised by Jesus that the Holy Spirit will guide them into all truth. It stands to reason that, since it is the Holy Spirit who decides who gets which gifts, He is even more interested in us finding out what our gifts are than we are. In truth, our own curiosity of how “gifted” we are many times is motivated by vain thoughts of our own importance. Conversely, the Holy Spirit’s desire that we know our spiritual gifts is always for the best, in order for us to function in the body in such a way that brings glory and honor to the Father.

If we are genuinely seeking God’s leading through prayer, fellowship, studying God’s Word, and the teaching of God’s servants, our gifts will become obvious. God gives us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4). This does not necessarily mean that God gives us whatever we desire - rather, that He can and will give us the desires themselves. He can place within our hearts the desire to teach, the desire to give, the desire to pray, the desire to serve, etc. When we act on those desires, and we are truly committed to His glory in the use of our gifts, positive outcomes will result—the body of Christ will be edified and God will be glorified.

Recommended Resources: The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life by Charles Stanley and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: Is there any value to a spiritual gifts test/inventory/assessment?

livin_in_the_Son

I really don't see why not MaryRae!

Question: "Is there any value to a spiritual gifts test/inventory/assessment?"

Answer: It is definitely commendable for God’s children to desire to know the spiritual gifts given to them by the Holy Spirit for the purpose of serving and glorifying God (2 Timothy 1:6). At the same time, the Bible does not indicate that one's spiritual gift(s) can be determined by taking a test. The many spiritual gifts assessments primarily work the same way. The person taking the test simply responds to a list of statements or questions. After all the questions are answered, a number value is assigned to the response choices, calculated, and that number determines the spiritual gift(s). In contrast, the Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit grants spiritual gifts according to His will, according to how He has chosen to use the believer to minister to others.

One of the problems with the spiritual gift test approach is that, among Christians today, there are many different opinions on the whole subject of spiritual gifts, such as how many there are, exactly what they mean, whether some gifts are inactive, and whether to include Christ’s gifts to His church (Ephesians 4:11) in the list of spiritual gifts. Seldom are these issues addressed in these assessments. Another consideration is that, more often than not, people tend to see themselves differently than others see them, which can mean a false outcome in the assessment of one’s spiritual gifts.

A third problem with using this approach to determine spiritual gifts is that these gifts come from God via the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit gives these gifts to whom He chooses (1 Corinthians 12:7-11). In John 16:13, believers are promised by Jesus that the Holy Spirit will guide them into all truth. It stands to reason that, since it is the Holy Spirit who decides who gets which gifts, He is even more interested in us finding out what our gifts are than we are. In truth, our own curiosity of how “gifted” we are many times is motivated by vain thoughts of our own importance. Conversely, the Holy Spirit’s desire that we know our spiritual gifts is always for the best, in order for us to function in the body in such a way that brings glory and honor to the Father.

If we are genuinely seeking God’s leading through prayer, fellowship, studying God’s Word, and the teaching of God’s servants, our gifts will become obvious. God gives us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4). This does not necessarily mean that God gives us whatever we desire - rather, that He can and will give us the desires themselves. He can place within our hearts the desire to teach, the desire to give, the desire to pray, the desire to serve, etc. When we act on those desires, and we are truly committed to His glory in the use of our gifts, positive outcomes will result—the body of Christ will be edified and God will be glorified.

Recommended Resources: The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life by Charles Stanley and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: Is there any value to a spiritual gifts test/inventory/assessment?

Another problem with these kind of tests, that was pointed out to me, is that if a person knows what the attributes of each "gift", they can tailor their answers to achieve that result.

Still another told me that spiritual gifts can change over time, due to life situations, or based on what is needed. For example, a person might have the gift of mercy, and years later find that they are now stronger in another gift area. This same person also stated that a lot of people have more than one gift and they employ whichever gift is needed for a given circumstance.

I have absolutely no proof, scriptural or otherwise, if any of what they said is true or not. My advice is take it up with the Lord, and see what He says about it for you.

Lorin

I have done several decades of research into Romans 12 spiritual gifts. I have found that they are genetic, map onto brain regions ( in detail, backed up by the latest neurology) and can be used as the basis for a complete system theology, not just any theology but an evangelical Christian theology.

If you have any questions I can try to answer them.

However, my research has forced me to address an interesting question. My starting point was an extra-biblical source (seeded by the idea of spiritual gifts), but this led to content that is deeply consistent with what the Bible says. Why?

mattfivefour

Question:
In God's perfect plan and with the Holy Spirit's enabling, can (may?) a woman be an "exhorter"? I have long suspected that this was a gifting I have.
Of course they can. ALL of God's people --male and female-- have been given gifts for the work of ministry for the building up of the body.

If God has given you the gift of exhortation, sis, then use it. Only Satan would have you keep it hidden.

Lorin

The Exhorter person is naturally full of drive and energy. However, the Exhorter person also hates to be frustrated. One of the main challenges for the Exhorter person is to express this energy in a way that does not lead to frustration. The male Exhorter person can be a 'bull in a China shop'. The female Exhorter person tends to be more subtle. If the Exhorter person simply plows ahead and 'exhorts', then this can lead to a trail of 'broken china', which in the end will cause frustration rather than fulfillment.

athenasius

I used to teach about the gifts in a ladies bible study back in the 80s. It bothered me that the response was often on the line of, oh I have x gift, so I dont have to do y or z because its not my gift. I began to question the theology behind many of those teaching so specifically about the gifts. I stopped teaching it, remaining silent, just observing.
Katie Fortune, Bill Gothard et al.

As I aged, I noticed that it was less important to know one's "gift(s)" as it was to have a heart of obedience to God's direction in ones life which might mean that a teacher gift might need to serve. I then began to think that it not only was given by God, but God might give depending on the need of the recipient, not on the person using "their" gift. Again someone with a gift of srvice might need to comfort someone, and be given that gift as the Spirit wills.

The gifts are for the edificationof the body as a whole.

Teaching on the gifts can be ok, as long as the focus remains on God, the giver who gifts as He wills according to His desires and not ours.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
It is the work of the Holy Spirit within us that leads us in God's work in our lives. When we submit to the prompting of the Holy Spirit as He works to progressively sanctify us, we are used of God more and more, all to HIS glory alone! It is all about HIM, and none of it is about US. When we take credit, we may get the applause of men, but that will be our only reward. All credit for any good we do goes to God who works through us. By ourselves, we can do nothing of God's work.

athenasius

keyboard issues, dh on main computer bear with me

my biggest concern was and is, that the teaching on the gifts is used to excuse sin and sinful tendencies. That a person with gift of perception may be critical & harsh. Or gift of teaching not compassionate etc.

It takes our focus off God, and onto us.

And lastly as jonschaff points out, there is a lot of overlap with personality profiling in psychology that is a concern.

we never fit bible into psychology or any feild of study, we fit knowledge intp the Bible. If it doesnt line up with the Word, it isnt good to bring it into church teaching

Back