Revelation Study Starts on the Bible Bus

tjplaw

Here for the duration.
I first discovered his radio ministry 35 years ago when I accepted Jesus as my Savior. I remember him saying that the church will not go into the rapture. I used to receive their monthly newsletter and remember one edition where they talked about a mid trib rapture, I don't know if they've changed their position since. I looked forward following his daily radio shows.

Hol

Worships Him
I first discovered his radio ministry 35 years ago when I accepted Jesus as my Savior. I remember him saying that the church will not go into the rapture. I used to receive their monthly newsletter and remember one edition where they talked about a mid trib rapture, I don't know if they've changed their position since. I looked forward following his daily radio shows.
He is pre-trib far as I can tell.

I'm not so sure he is a literal 6-day (24-hr days) creationist, so I do take a few things with a grain of salt.

Jan51

He is pre-trib far as I can tell.

I'm not so sure he is a literal 6-day (24-hr days) creationist, so I do take a few things with a grain of salt.

Here is J. Vernon McGee's belief on the rapture. This is from the doctrinal statement on Thru the Bible Radio, ttb.org:

The Blessed Hope

We believe that according to the Word of God the next great event in the fulfillment of prophecy will be the coming of the Lord in the air to receive to Himself into heaven both His own who are alive and remain unto His coming, and also all who have fallen asleep in Jesus, and that this event is the blessed hope set before us in the Scripture, and for this we should be constantly looking. (John 14:1-3; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; Philippians 3:20; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Titus 2:11-14.)

The Tribulation

We believe that the translation of the church will be followed by the fulfillment of Israel's seventieth week (Daniel 9:27; Revelation 6:1-19:21) during which the church, the body of Christ, will be in heaven. The whole period of Israel's seventieth week will be a time of judgment on the whole earth, at the end of which the times of the Gentiles will be brought to a close. The latter half of this period will be the time of Jacob's trouble (Jeremiah 30:7), which our Lord called the great tribulation (Matthew 24:15-21). We believe that universal righteousness will not be realized previous to the second coming of Christ, but that the world is day by day ripening for judgment and that the age will end with a fearful apostasy.

Here is his answer to a Q&A on the subject of creation:

Some time after his death, as others continued his radio ministry, I thought I heard the announcer explain one day something to the effect that McGee taught the gap theory because that was what most Christians thought was the best Genesis interpretation in light of the "science" regarding evolution at that time. But toward the end of McGee's ministry, Henry Morris, who later founded the Institute for Creation Research, came on the scene. His book, "The Genesis Flood," brought about the birth of the modern creation science movement. You will hear in this audio that McGee refers positively to what was a new teaching at that time, coming out of Heritage College in San Diego, which later became ICR. The announcer said, I thought, that in his final years, McGee rejected the gap theory and embraced young earth creation, having learned that scientific evidence did not require Christians to compromise their literal interpretation of the Bible after all. Unfortunately, his materials still reflect his earlier stance.

I hope I have remembered correctly--it was years ago I heard this on the radio.

Hol

Worships Him
Wow, thank you Jan51! I am loving this study, and definitely will pray for this ministry.

I sure hope that if I grow old and have taken a position about Scripture that isn't correct, that I will humble myself as Dr. McGee did, admit I was wrong, and rejoice in the truth :bible

What good news ❤️

BlueRegard

How are you keeping up! We are now on the 5th trumpet and just about to find what Dr. McGee says about those locusts with the human faces and lion's teeth.
That shaft to & from the Abyss bothers me.

Hol

Worships Him
How are you keeping up! We are now on the 5th trumpet and just about to find what Dr. McGee says about those locusts with the human faces and lion's teeth.
That shaft to & from the Abyss bothers me.
You're back!! Today's was another good lesson. I love the Bible Bus.

Those details about locusts made me think of drones. One time I was camping and a swarm of grasshoppers hit. Not much green was left, they killed some small trees and bushes. I had left a sunglasses case out and they gnawed on that too.

The shaft detail was troublesome too, wiith the smoke from fire & brimstone.

I haven't downloaded the study guide, but want to ask you if you have checked his Bible version with the King James?

BlueRegard

You're back!! Today's was another good lesson. I love the Bible Bus.

Those details about locusts made me think of drones. One time I was camping and a swarm of grasshoppers hit. Not much green was left, they killed some small trees and bushes. I had left a sunglasses case out and they gnawed on that too.

The shaft detail was troublesome too, wiith the smoke from fire & brimstone.

I haven't downloaded the study guide, but want to ask you if you have checked his Bible version with the King James?

Wow, we are now up to Chapter 15. It's really moving along. I really liked how he discussed the tribulation saints singing the song of Moses. I wrote "don't lose your joy!"

The thing about the shaft bothered me because it made me think of lost souls flying down it on the way to the abyss. A horrible mental image.

No, I haven't check his version against KJ. I am reading along with my Scofield Study Bible and it's very close with the exception of some words here or there which sometimes he acknowledges are different. Actually, I think he says he is using his "own translation" and he doesn't recommend it. I have no idea what he means by that!

I just don't have the energy to cross-check with different Bibles - although - tonight I learned there is a big difference between "hold to my teaching" (Scofield) and "abide with me." (KJ) It was from a verse in John. So sometimes the KJ is better.

Andy C

Wow, thank you Jan51! I am loving this study, and definitely will pray for this ministry.

I sure hope that if I grow old and have taken a position about Scripture that isn't correct, that I will humble myself as Dr. McGee did, admit I was wrong, and rejoice in the truth :bible

What good news ❤️

Amen. Many times I thought I was correct on certain scriptures, only later to discover I was wrong. Any time I get close to feeling puffed up in knowledge, a hole will pierce me letting out my hot air, and in the end, Im just an older wind bag......:D

Reactions: Hol

Hol

Worships Him
Amen. Many times I thought I was correct on certain scriptures, only later to discover I was wrong. Any time I get close to feeling puffed up in knowledge, a hole will pierce me letting out my hot air, and in the end, Im just an older wind bag......:D
:lol
And you simply have to love Christ more, because His corrections are so patient and gentle!

I'm almost getting to where I can sense He's decided it's time to deflate this old airbag! Me trying to seem 'right' is gradually less and less appealing.

athenasius

Here is J. Vernon McGee's belief on the rapture. This is from the doctrinal statement on Thru the Bible Radio, ttb.org:

The Blessed Hope

We believe that according to the Word of God the next great event in the fulfillment of prophecy will be the coming of the Lord in the air to receive to Himself into heaven both His own who are alive and remain unto His coming, and also all who have fallen asleep in Jesus, and that this event is the blessed hope set before us in the Scripture, and for this we should be constantly looking. (John 14:1-3; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; Philippians 3:20; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Titus 2:11-14.)

The Tribulation

We believe that the translation of the church will be followed by the fulfillment of Israel's seventieth week (Daniel 9:27; Revelation 6:1-19:21) during which the church, the body of Christ, will be in heaven. The whole period of Israel's seventieth week will be a time of judgment on the whole earth, at the end of which the times of the Gentiles will be brought to a close. The latter half of this period will be the time of Jacob's trouble (Jeremiah 30:7), which our Lord called the great tribulation (Matthew 24:15-21). We believe that universal righteousness will not be realized previous to the second coming of Christ, but that the world is day by day ripening for judgment and that the age will end with a fearful apostasy.

Here is his answer to a Q&A on the subject of creation:

Some time after his death, as others continued his radio ministry, I thought I heard the announcer explain one day something to the effect that McGee taught the gap theory because that was what most Christians thought was the best Genesis interpretation in light of the "science" regarding evolution at that time. But toward the end of McGee's ministry, Henry Morris, who later founded the Institute for Creation Research, came on the scene. His book, "The Genesis Flood," brought about the birth of the modern creation science movement. You will hear in this audio that McGee refers positively to what was a new teaching at that time, coming out of Heritage College in San Diego, which later became ICR. The announcer said, I thought, that in his final years, McGee rejected the gap theory and embraced young earth creation, having learned that scientific evidence did not require Christians to compromise their literal interpretation of the Bible after all. Unfortunately, his materials still reflect his earlier stance.

I hope I have remembered correctly--it was years ago I heard this on the radio.
I am glad he changed his mind. I got his entire commentary soon after getting my kindle. I used to borrow copies from a friend as I used it to teach ladies Bible study.

Back